September 20, 2011

Talking about stuff I don't know much about... for fun!

So, I've never claimed to be a "fashionista".  I still don't understand the term "clothes horse" (horses don't wear clothing, generally).  Ask any member of my family and most will tell you that my style is best described as the "before" picture for a What Not To Wear candidate... except Adam.  He will tell you that I need to stop wearing his t-shirts as pajamas.

I refuse.  What?  They're comfy, and hang to my knees!

The point is, I don't know much about what's in style.  I don't even do well with Basics: I have pairs of jeans in a couple of washes that fit enough that they don't fall down, but I don't think they are the best fit for me.  I wear a lot of plain cotton t-shirts from Old Work (they're comfy AND discounted!), and I have a personal rule that I don't wear any make-up before 8am.  Seriously, if I have to go somewhere after an early shift, I will apply it on my 15 minute break, which is usually around 8:30am.

But I do know what I like.  I have a pretty solid idea of what colours look good on me.  And, as I"m sure you've noticed, I LOVE knitting.

Imagine my Joy when I started to notice that the incoming bits and pieces for fall are warm, snuggly knit sweaters and chunky cowls and scarves!  And the colours are fantastic: burnt orange, deep, sleepy greens, chocolate browns.  I can almost feel the burgundies creeping in.

Does this mean I'm going to start knitting myself sweaters?  Yeah, no.  I don't really have the attention span for sweaters.  I have to accept that.  The lovely new circle cardigans that have taken the place of the open cardis that draped like handkerchiefs in the front?  Yeah, I could knit one.  It would take me a year, but I could.  I'm not going to, though.  I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and buy one.

But I like the warmth of it.  I like snuggly tweeds and things that are soft.  I tend to have trouble because I'm short and pudgy, so chunky knits can make me look like a marshmallow, but lucky for us, the long-sweater trend seems to be hanging on.  And as much as I did enjoy the bright colour thing that went on this summer (I rocked flourescent pink toes through most of the season), I'm looking forward to the campfire and leaves theme that always seems to come with fall.

And I'm hoping, hoping HOPING that this winter comes in with a flair of burgundy and gold... it might be the only thing that keeps me sane.

No comments: