January 14, 2010

Sparky's Official Statement: How you can Help Haiti

I really didn't want to post about this. I mean, I did, but at the same time, I didn't. I know it's selfish, but all I can think about is the the things I might have been able to do, the ways I might have been able to help. Right now, I'm angry at a lot of things. But I realized earlier today that I can't let my anger at my situation stop me from being who I am and doing what I feel is right.

I don't have a way to donate right now. I don't have the money*, I don't have a cell phone (see below), and I can't give blood. I can give you the options. The rest is up to you. All information below is for Canadian Organizations, as the Canadian Government is MATCHING Canadian Donations, up to $50 Million.

*PLEASE DO NOT COLLECT CLOTHING, BLANKETS, FOOD, SUPPLIES, ETC. Cash is the absolute best way to help. As a former aid worker, I can tell you with 100% certainty that donating money ensures that every single need is met in the fastest way possible. Thank you.

1. Medecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders. Their webpage is so overloaded that they are auto-directing visitors to donation pages. To Donate Now, Click Here

2. UNICEF Canada. There is an emergency appeal active now so that your funds will go directly to Haiti relief. To Donate Now, Click Here.

3. The Humanitarian Coalition. This is a joint effort between CARE, Oxfam Canada and Oxfam Quebec and Save the Children Canada. To Donate Now, Click Here

4. If you have a cell phone, you have a couple of options, but note that it may take 30 days for your donations to reach their respective charities. Please do not let this discourage you. Your donation will still be needed in the coming weeks.
  • Rogers and Fido users can text "HELP" to 1291 to donate $5 to the ONEXONE Foundation.
  • To donate $5 to the Salvation Army, text "HAITI" to 45678
  • Yele Haiti is a charity run by Wyclef Jean. To donate $5, text "YELE" to 501501
5. Canadian Blood Services. I haven't been able to confirm that donating blood in Canada will help Haiti specifically, but it can't hurt. To find a clinic near you, call 1-888-2-DONATE, or Click Here.

And Finally...

6. The Canadian Red Cross. I still, despite everything, believe with my whole heart that this is the best organization for providing Disaster Relief in any nation around the world. I am certain that in the coming days some of my former co-workers and friends will be deployed to Haiti, and I trust them, and the International Federation, to not only help now, but also to continue to help them rebuild. To Donate, Click Here.


So, that's it folks. I'm going to add a couple of the links to my sidebar, but I won't be posting about it again. My thoughts are with the people of Haiti, and for the people affected by this tragedy around the world, but right now, there's nothing I can say or do to make things better, and it's breaking my heart.

Thank you.

1 comment:

Save the Children Canada said...

Hi,

Thanks for posting about the Humanitarian Coalition's effort to raise money for Haiti.

It is great that you did. Giving of your time and talent is as important as donating money I assure.

Once again thanks!
Cicely
Save the Children Canada