September 5, 2007

Decisions

Edit: 5pm: So, I talked to Amanda at the Shelter. She said that it's exactly the same as what they had before, only not even close to being as bad. She gave me some tips as to how to get the eye-drops in. I think we're going to be ok. I'm going to stick it out until the end of the week, then I'm probably going to have to give them to Amanda for 24/7 care if things don't improve. She said that the Anti-biotics should start working within a day or two, and they should all start feeling better.

Truth be told, they won't get the 1 on 1 care they need at the shelter, and they won't really get the one-on-one they need with me either. Amanda's not working, so she might be the best care giver... I just don't want to give up. I hate feeling that I gave up because things got hard. Or that I gave up at all. I think that's why I'm taking this as hard as I am. I think giving them back healthy would be better.

So, here's the original post. Please let me know what you think, as I'm never a good judge of when i'm going over-board.

So, Rusty, Pickles and I went to the vet today. It was a good visit, but hard. Both have upper respitory infections, and both have conjunctivitis, which is causing the crust on their eyes. Both also have abrasions on their eyes which may become ulcers.

I was given an oral antibiotic for them, to be administered twice per day for 2 weeks. That was fine, since Worry still gets electrolytes, so it would just take longer to get ready in the morning. But both cats also need something called BNP, a cream that I have to put in their eyes twice a day. Frankly, it's a little bit too much. So I'm in contact with Kathy, and we're discussing sending them back.

It's much harder than I thought it would be. It's only been a week, and yet I feel that I'm already too attatched. It feels so selfish. But I keep reminding myself: I didn't do anything wrong. They were sick before I got them, they were sick at first, and if they go back to the rescue, they will be able to get more consistant care than what I can offer. I'm just worried that they'll get sicker, or that they'll die because of the environment... It's just so crowded! Worry has grown a bit, even over this week, but I don't think I can provide enough care for them.

So, I'm going to talk to Kathy about a switch. Maybe there's another cat that I can take on who doesn't need as much care.

I think they'll be ok though. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

J.D said...

You're doing everything you can, and far more than other people might have. I can't say I've even been able to take in an animal as you have.

You're also not giving up. You're doing the responsible thing by doing what you can to care for them, but also recognizing that they may need more than you are able to give, and you're looking into ways to make sure that they can get the care they need - that's called being a responsible pet owner. If more people planned ahead and cared about their pets that much, there might not been a need for places like All Heart. If, in a week, all is well, awesome! But if not, please don't sweat it. You're doing the right thing either way. <3 <3