January 31, 2011

Startitis

There's a Knitter's Malady called Startitis; for those of you who aren't already friends of fibers, Startitis is basically the overwhelming need (almost to an obsessive degree) to cast on many projects, but not make it past more than a few rows before casting on something else, then something else, then something else. It's commonly seen in knitters after the release of a new fiber/colour/yarn by a yarn company, after the release of new patterns online, after recieving new newsletters, magazines, blog posts or hearing new new podcasts relating to projects or yarns, after visiting local yarn shops (aka: LYS), or after an hours-long binge on Ravelry.

Here's the thing though...Startitis, as it turns out, isn't limited to just knitting related projects. It's wormed its way into the world of cleaning, organizing, videogaming, and even blogging.

I've got 4 unposted blog posts sitting in the queue. So, though it's been 31 days since my last post, I haven't forgotten about you, I just haven't posted my ranty-ness. There are a couple of reasons things like this happen... usually it's because I got distracted or bored. If I get bored writing a post, I bail on it, stick it in the "Saved, Unpublished Posts" list, and eventually I will come back to it, edit it, and maybe even re-post it.

Startitis is a pain in the butt, especially for someone like me who has the time to start things, browse the web, and spends lots of time at her LYS.

Where am I going with this? Well, bare with me while I explain: our landlords are starting a "Bedbug Management Program", as reccomended by the Toronto Health Unit. Basically, they're coming in with an inspector to check every unit for the little bastards. I'm 100% all for this... those bloodsucking little buggers are disgusting and, frankly, kinda scary. The thing is, this means that they're coming into the unit and checking things like baseboards, under couches, under beds... places where things tend to accumulate.

Who am I kidding? Our whole apartment is a place where things tend to accumulate...

Anyways, I'm going to be spending the next week scrubbing like a mad woman (they come to see the unit on Saturday), which won't leave me a lot of time for posting, or really for knitting. Add to this the fact that it's flu season, which means the Work-place has been calling me to come in short notice (yay for extra monies!).

So, what I'm going to leave you with today is a list of my UFO's: a knitting term meaning Unfinished Objects. Maybe later I'll throw up a list of projects I want to start next week (or sooner...), just to keep you all entertained...

1. Aunt Glad's Hat: 3x2 ribbed hat in black acrylic. I'm making it a little long to allow for a rolled up brim, so I've got an inch about 2 inches to go until I start the decreases.

2. Colleen's half-birthday/Christmas in July socks: I started socks for Colleen with the intent of having them done for her birthday/christmas, but the yarn was special order and I didn't get it until mid-November, so I'm aiming now to have them done by July. I'm about an inch away from the heel-flap on the first sock.

3. Adam's Llama-Face Scarf: Had to put this one on Hiatus because I only have one ball left of the Misti Alpaca I'm using... if they can't get me the same dye-lot, I'll have to do some blending work, so I'll need that other ball.

4. My Malabrigo socks: I'm making myself some nice thick socks out of some stunning malabrigo Rios yarn. Again, I'm coming up on the heel-flap.

5. My Springtime Shadow Shawl: I'll actually work on this for a little bit tonight after my visit to the travel clinic for my last Hep A shot (I think it's Hep A... I can't remember). I have to tink back about 5-6 pattern repeats and correct a mistake, but it's about 1/4 done, and is very pretty!

6. Heather's Cottage Sweater: this one has been in hibernation for a while because the finishing is scaring me a little. Luckily, it's made for a 2 year old, so I'm hoping I'll have it done for this summer, now that I know how do do the finishing and how to properly pick up the stitches for the neck.

That's all for now folks! Hey, if you're on Ravelry, add me as a friend! I'm SparkyintheSnow and I LOVE project stalking people! :)

Off to scrubby-scrub!

No comments: