June 5, 2006

I don't Like Mondays....

I'm tired, and it's late, and I have to get up redonculously early tomorrow, so I'll make this real quick:

1/ Our Company has just instated Mandatory Overtime. How this works is: you are given the opertunity to sign up for posted overtime until about a week before (Our overtime is almost always on weekends). If not enough people sign up for overtime that weekend, on the tuesday a notice will be posted listing the people who WILL be working. Obviously, those who volunteered will get spots, but to fill any extra places, H.R. will start at the bottom of the seniority list ("lowest most-qualified employee), and work their way up. If you're schedualed to work, it's the same as a day in the week: you show up, or there are penalties.

Why are my panties in a twist over this? Well, because on my shift, there are 2, maybe 3 people on full time crew who are lower on the list than me, and maybe 2-3 above, depending on what they do with back-up operators. One of the crew people below me is on light duty, so she is not legally allowed to work overtime (right now, she only stays for half a shift). So that means that all it takes is for 2 crew spots to be empty and I'm up to bat, which means I might have to fight to get this coming Saturday off, not to mention 2 weeks from now, when Nathan is supposed to be visiting. At least I still get time and a half...

2/ Labour Board (aka "The Ministry") was in today. Shut down half the plant due to "unsafe or hazardous working conditions". They were coming back on the afternoon shift to do another tour and see if at least one of the lines would get back up and running, and then they'll be in for probably the rest of the week, inspections next week, then the week after, depending on how bad we do... It's the beginning of the end, and people are not happy. The Ministry guy was less than impressed with the hazards around the plant, and was apalled by our cook's area. I don't think he's even been back to the warehouse yet, and he already had half a notebook full. The supervisers are all on their last nerves, the crew still hasn't been told what we can and cannot work with (certain machines we're no longer allowed to operate, or even touch, because of pinch/cut hazards). Needless to say, everyone's just a little twitchy right now.

3/ I emailed an old friend a few nights ago, and I haven't heard back from him. This concerns me a little.

4/ Yeah, I'm still coming on the 9th. Come hell or high tempers, I will be there for my convocation. And I will have a cell on me, probably mine, for that weekend, so if you need/want me, call it.

5/Everwood ended tonight. It was fluffy and sappy and good and I liked it.

6/ Books read so far this summer:

  • The Davinci Code
  • White Oleander
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (in progress)
  • A Million Little Pieces (Next in que)
  • My Friend Leonard (Continuation of Million Pieces)

So that's it for now. More when I have time, energy and info.

Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

Yay.

No comments: