February 9, 2011

Let's Talk.

Today is "Let's Talk Day". It's a day of awareness created by Bell Canada; every time a Bell Canada subscriber makes a long distance call or texts, 5 cents will be donated to Mental Health Causes across Canada.

So, Let's Talk.

1 in 5 Canadians will be effected by Mental Illness in their lifetimes. I am one of those Canadians. I make no secret of it, mostly because I don't think it's fair to keep it a secret; I've been dealing with this for most of my life, as have my family. It's part of who I am.

I had my first suicidal ideations when I was in grade 6. I used to play a game with myself as I went to bed at night: "why should I wake up tomorrow"? I've felt Manic highs, I've felt lows that make me wonder why anyone would ever be made to feel that low. From clinical depression to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, to Manic Depression to now Bipolar Disorder II, (did you know nervous breakdowns are now called Major Depressive Episodes? Doesn't have the same ring to it...) I work to understand it, almost as hard as I work to control it.

For the last... well, almost 10 years now, I've also suffered from Compulsive Skin Picking disorder. It's gotten better, but it still effects me every day.

Again, I make no secret of any of this... I've talked about it here a number of times. But today, I'm hoping that people out there will realize that you have to talk about it. Secrets Keep People Sick. Talk to your family, your friends, your doctor, and if you need help, reach out.

Thanks everyone. :)

No comments: